Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Vegetable soup, stuffed bell peppers, and thinspo (Updated!)

I went on a bit of a cooking craze yesterday. It was fun and I learned I'm pretty good at whipping something tasty together out of odd ingredients. I stayed up talking to my girlfriend all night (who helped me with the soup btw) and in the morning I started cooking some vegetable soup using the veggies I had in my fridge (broccoli, brussels sprouts, orange bell pepper, red bell pepper, vidalia onion, tomato, yellow squash, and eggplant). I thought it would taste bad because of the strange combination, but actually it's DELICIOUS. Nom nom. I didn't have enough broth cubes to make a proper soup, so it's mostly water and veggies, but I slow cooked it for an hour so the veggie tastes all combined in the water and it's nummy. If anyone wants the exact amounts I used let me know and I'll post my "recipe". I meticulously weighed all my veggies to find out the calorie content and it turns out the entire thing (which made about 10cups/80oz) only has 318. Impressive, yeah? That means 1 cup of soup only has about 32 calories in it, actually a bit less. That's really good when compared to store bought canned soups. Then when I got home last night I cored and halfed a green bell pepper and boiled it for 15 minutes. I mixed together half a cup of fried rice I got last weekend from eating Chinese and half a cup of shredded Mexican cheese, and then I laid the two pepper halves on a foil-lined baking sheet and stuffed them full. I popped them in my toaster oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. I probably should've put them on broil for about 5 minutes after that but I didn't. *shrugs* Oh well. They were yummy anyway.

Here's what I had yesterday:
1/2 cup low fat (1%) cottage cheese (80)
1 Great Value light nonfat yogurt in banana cream pie (80)
1 cup homemade veggie soup (32)
1 cup romaine lettuce (8)
6 croutons (7)
3 cherry tomatoes (9)
1 tbsp Caesar salad dressing (78)
12 oz Pepsi (150) - fail
Lipton unsweetened iced tea (0)
1 green bell pepper (30)
1/2 cup fried rice (166)
1/2 cup Kraft shredded Mexican cheese (180)
1 pickle spear (1)
2 fudgsicles (80)
8 jalapeno pepper rings (2)
2 1/2 oz red seedless grapes (50)
4 sweet red cherries (17)
Total: 970 calories/48.5% RDI. That means I've now kept under my target of 1,200 for three days in a row. Yay! Let's hope I can keep going.

UPDATE:

Tonight when I got home from work I cooked again. I made another stuffed bell pepper, but I changed what I stuffed it with. This time I used fried rice, less Mexican cheese (so many calories before), and onions and squash, both of which I had leftovers in my fridge from making my veggie soup. This time instead of just boiling and baking my peppers, I boiled (15mins), baked at 350F (25mins), and broiled (5mins). They were soooo good. Then I cooked something for my dad to eat from more leftovers in the fridge. I threw some sticky white rice, broccoli, and the rest of the onions and squash into a pot and cooked them with margarine (but not too much). I tried a little spoonful and it was good, but I can't afford to eat a second helping of dinner today. The whole concoction was less than 500 calories (which is excellent for how much I made), but I'm almost at my self-imposed limit for today, so if I eat again it will be something quite small.

Here is what I've had today:
2 cups homemade veggie soup (64)
1 Great Value light nonfat yogurt in orange creamsicle (80)
1 Pizza Hut traditional chicken wing naked (no sauce) (40)
1 green bell pepper (30)
1/2 cup fried rice (166)
1/8 cup Kraft shredded Mexican cheese (45)
1/8 cup chopped vidalia onion (9)
1/4 cup chopped yellow squash (5)
1 cherry tomato (3)
1/4 cup sliced cucumber with peel (4)
2 pieces of vitamin gum (5)
1 slice of lemon (2)
15 croutons (17)
1 fudgsicle (40)
30 red seedless grapes (105)
12 sweet red cherries (62)
Total: 677 calories/34% RDI

@Sarah - I know, right?!? Mexican food is like my weakness. Chinese too. I have a hard time staying away from them.
@Kate - Thanks. You are totally gorgeous and way far ahead of me. lol I hope I make it to where you are. As for the recipe to the brownies, I am still perfecting it (there are some improvements I would like to make), but I will defo let you know when it's done. ^^
@Jackie - It's not as tough as that fast you did. :) The only problem I run into is cravings. Out of the blue, if I let my mind wander, I'll find myself thinking about a beefy melt burrito and drooling.
@Princess Perfection - I don't know how good I'm doing since I haven't dropped any weight, lol, but thank you all the same. :)

And here's some more thinspiration from my personal collection:


Sarah Michelle Gellar

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Emma Watson

Emma Watson

Emma Watson and Olivia Wilde

1 comment:

  1. I'd never seen that bottom right photo of emma- so beautiful! Geez! That soup sounds very crafty, good for you thinking it up- and very nice intake. And I am not way far ahead of you. You are halfway there, and have lost WAY more weight than I have- feel awesome about that, that is fucking badass! Good luck chica

    ReplyDelete