Thursday, July 28, 2011

How very strange...

I keep ending up under my self-designated intake. Today I was aiming for 1,200 calories to give my body a bit of a break from the >1,000 a day I've been doing, and I STILL didn't make it! Wtf? lol I mean I guess this says something good about my willpower. When I got home today I realized I wasn't even close to 1,000 calories, so I ditched what I was originally going to have for dinner for something with more calories. I decided to make a sandwich, but the sandwich I was going to make STILL didn't have enough calories, so I had to add a bunch of stuff to it, which I'm glad I did because it was soooo yummy. But anyway, after all of that, I still don't have 1,000, so in a while I might snack on some fruit to try and bring it up to 1,200. Either that or I'll just leave it where it is. Idk yet. But this is what I had:

Breakfast:
2 cups homemade vegetable soup (64)
3 6oz cups of plain black coffee (5)
1 GV light nonfat yogurt in orange creme (80)
*GV = Great Value, which is the Walmart generic brand

Lunch:
1 Wendy's homestyle chicken go wrap with no ranch sauce (280)
1 packet of Wendy's sour cream (40)

Dinner:
2 slices Sara Lee classic 100% whole wheat bread (150)
1 oz mushed up avocado (45)
1 tsp Blue Plate light mayonnaise (17)
1 tsp Grey Poupon dijon mustard (5)
2 slices of tomato (7)
1 oz GV colby & monterey jack cheese cut from the block (110)
2 slices Land O' Frost hickory smoked turkey breast (32)

Snacks:
7 oz red apple (103)
3 cherry tomatoes (9)
5 croutons (6)
1 dill pickle spear (1)
2 lemon wedges (4)

That only puts me at 958 calories/48% RDI so far. I may or may not have some cherries and red seedless grapes later to bring the calorie count up. I haven't decided. If you're curious as to how I made my FABULOUS sandwich, scroll past my comment replies and read below.

@Christina - Thanks for following and commenting! :) It really is tasty. I've posted the recipe below for you, along with the approximate calorie counts.
@Kate - Yeah, it usually gives me this feeling of disbelief when I do it without trying. I used to overeat so badly, and now I'm undereating so easily. We are doing quite well now, thank you. :)
@Butterfly - It does seem to be quite common. I think eating disorders are not just because we want to lose weight, but also perhaps some kind of psychological coping mechanism for underlying problems. I'd like to think that mine is just because I want to lose weight, I really want to believe that, but I think the amount of control it gives me is a huge factor. When it seems like everything in life is spiraling out of control, I can at least dictate what and how much I eat. I wonder if this is true for everyone else on here, even if they don't want to admit it.
@Jackie - Thank you for your kind words. We are actually doing much better again, for which I'm very grateful. I don't like fighting with anyone, but especially not with her.
@Hope to be thin - Thank you :)

Awesome sandwich:
You'll need: a toaster oven, a toaster oven baking pan/sheet (preferably with a removable rack), a sharp knife (a butter knife won't work), a plate and/or cutting board, 2 slices of whole wheat bread, 1 oz avocado, 1 tsp light mayonnaise, 2 slices of tomato, 1 oz cheese (not shredded), 2 slices of turkey breast, and 1 tsp dijon mustard. If you want to know exactly what brand I used and the calorie content, see what I had for dinner above.
1. Toast the bread, set aside.
2. If your avocado isn't already soft enough to mush up, then wrap it in a wet paper towel, put it on a plate, and microwave for about 30-40 seconds, depending on how hard it is. You should be able to run a knife right through it and mash it easily after this, but be careful not to touch it with your fingers. It will be hot!
3. Take 1 tsp of light mayo and mix it in with the avocado mush. This makes a nice yummy, low calorie paste to put on the bread. Spread it evenly on both halves.
4. Slice two medium slices (about 1/4 inch each) out of a good-sized tomato and lay one on each slice of bread on top of the avocado.
5. If you're using pre-sliced cheese you'll put this on top of the tomatoes. If you're using block cheese then cut it into thin squares (thin enough to melt fairly easily) and lay them on top of both tomatoes.
6. Fold your two slices of turkey breast in half and place both on top of one slice of bread, so that the folded insides are touching in the middle. I suppose you could just lay the meat down flat, but I prefer it this way.
7. Put your bread facing up on a toaster oven tray (preferably on top of a rack that fits inside the tray, if you have one) and pop into the toaster oven with the setting on broil. You'll want to turn the toaster oven on and let it heat the broil setting up for about five minutes before you do this.
8. Set a timer for about 9-10 minutes and keep checking it every few minutes, to make sure it doesn't burn or explode or anything. Once the cheese is melted and gooey on the half where you can still see it (hence why I put the meat just on the one half), remove the tray carefully with a pot holder or mitten (don't burn yourself, silly!). Make sure you remember to turn the oven off, too. :)
9. Take 1 tsp dijon mustard and spread it evenly across the meat.
10. Put your two sandwich halves together and cut them if you like. Enjoy!
If anyone actually tries this let me know. I would be fascinated to see whether or not you liked it as much as I did.

Homemade vegetable soup:
*I have altered some of the amounts marginally from what I used, for improvement's sake. This should be even better than what I made. Note: If you severely dislike or are allergic to any of the following vegetables, just substitute that amount with extra of another vegetable.
You'll need: a cooking scale to measure the vegetables, a large pot with a lid, a spatula, a sharp knife (a butter knife won't do the trick), a cutting board, 6 oz broccoli (58), 3 oz brussels sprouts (37), 6 oz yellow squash (27), 3 oz vidalia onion (36), 5 oz orange bell pepper (35), 5 oz red bell pepper (35), 9 oz tomato (46), 6 oz eggplant (41), 3 Wyler's chicken broth cubes (15)
1. Chop all veggies up into small cubes/pieces and put in a large pot (and yes you will need a LARGE pot, unless you use smaller amounts than I listed above).
2. Add a little water to the bottom of the pot and turn the heat onto medium, just to start warming up the veggies while you make your broth water. It's important to put water in the bottom so you don't burn them before you add the broth.
3. Boil the amount of water you'll need to add according to the broth instructions (for instance, 1 cube usually goes into 8 oz of water). You'll need to end up with enough water to just cover the vegetables because we're going to slow cook them.
4. Dissolve your broth cubes in the boiling water then add (carefully) to the pot of vegetables. If you didn't make enough and the water doesn't cover them, just add some more water to the pot. (Don't panic if the eggplant floats at first. It will sink down later.) I didn't use very much broth at all actually. I mostly just used plain water and it turned out fine, but if you want more flavor use more broth.
5. Turn your heat to between medium and low. Put a lid on your pot and set a timer for an hour. You can wander off but you'll want to come back every so often to stir the veggies (so they cook evenly and don't burn) and check how soft they are. An hour worked fine for me, but it may take more or less depending on how mushy you want them. Note: if your water is boiling rapidly, the heat is too high. A gentle boil is okay, but a lot of foaming and rising means it's too hot.
6. When you have achieved the desired softness of veggies, remove from heat and let cool. DO NOT TRY AND TASTE IT YET! It will be scalding hot. I burned my tongue very badly by attempting this. Let it cool down for at least thirty minutes first and then you can put it in plastic storage containers with lids, which can then be stored in the fridge. When I made this I measured it at the end and it made about 10 cups of soup, give or take.
ENJOY! Let me know if you try this, because I'd love to know how it went for other people. I found it to be a lovely low-calorie option to keep me full.

More thinspo from my collection. Woo!


Megan Fox, Olivia Wilde, Megan Fox

Tila Tequila, Keira Knightley, Tila Tequila

Mischa Barton

Ziyi Zhang

3 comments:

  1. Ugh, lovely images. So inspiring! Very nicely done with the intake- I feel like it is just the best when you feel like you are taking care of yourself, but you know that you are losing weight. Good stuff! I'm glad all's well, I haaaate it when I fight with my man, makes me so stressed. Keep up the good work hun, I love reading your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I needed to add calories to my intake! you have such a knack for finding healthy things, might I add.
    and thanks for the recipe! i will definitely have to try that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sandwich sounds so yummy! Awh I wanna be healthy toooo ): Lol I'm gonna try, really.
    Thanks for the post I need to change WHAT I eat not only how many calories I have ya know?
    That's so great you're trying to get to reach your calorie rather than feeling so deprived, yay(:
    good luck!
    xxo

    ReplyDelete